Our pasture-raised chicken is currently available in two ways:
- Bulk Orders: by pre-order (preferred). Whole birds are shrink-wrapped, weighed, and frozen. Whole birds are available in a range of sizes, on average between 4-6 lbs. Please email your order request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Farm Store: Select from a variety of sizes of whole birds from the retail freezer. Cash and credit card accepted.
Store Hours: Open Monday-Saturday, 10am-4pm, or by appointment.
TASTE THE DIFFERENCE OF VERDANT VIEW FARM CHICKEN.
- Chicks are raised in a warm brooder for the first 3 weeks as they quickly grow and mature;
- Chickens then move into a large area on pasture grasses and are guarded by 2 geese (watch out, fox!). The flock has access to clean water, feed, and shade at all times, and the farmer moves them onto fresh grass every few days.
- No artificial hormones;
- No preventive antibiotics.
• Under Exemption P.L. 90-492, chickens are processed on farm premises through the expertise of a woman-owned and led, mother-daughter duo at Ironstone Farm.
Cornish Cross ($3.75/lb) vs. Freedom Ranger ($5.00/lb)
- Both are pastured -raised, fed non-GMO feed, and given no hormones or antibiotics
- Both are hybrid breeds selected for fast growth and meat development.
- “Hybrid” means if bred together they will not breed “true to breed.” Simply put, if you breed a Cornish Cross with another Cornish Cross , they will not produce a Cornish Cross (the same goes for Freedom Rangers).
- Cornish Cross take 6-8 weeks to reach a dressed weight* of 5-6lbs. Freedom Rangers take 9-11 weeks to reach a dressed weight* of 5-6lbs.
- Freedom Rangers tend to be more active and better foragers than Cornish Cross.
- Due to their extremely fast rate of growth, Cornish Cross can have more health problems than Freedom Rangers. This includes leg issues and heart failure.
- Freedom Rangers tend to have darker meat with more yellow omega 3 fat and less saturated fat than Cornish Cross.
*dressed weight refers to the chicken’s weight after head, feet, feathers, and organs have been removed